HEALING THROUGH EMPOWERMENT: A training for Practitioners in Trauma Healing.
Friday May 17th 9am to 3pm, Portland
“Traumatized people chronically feel unsafe inside their bodies: The past is alive in the form of gnawing interior discomfort…. they often become expert at ignoring their gut feelings and in numbing awareness of what is played out inside.” – Bessel Van der Kolk
Empowerment Self Defense (ESD) is a uniquely holistic, research-based, survivor-centered, feminist approach to self-protection skills. ESD offers:
- an environment that is explicitly safe
- opportunities to make active choices and express personal boundaries
- skill-building in active coping
- increased interoceptive awareness (awareness of the signals within the body).
- stronger awareness of danger cues and skills in active response.
- experiences of social connection as safe and comforting.
Research demonstrates that training in Empowerment Self Defense lowers rates of victimization or re-victimization, decreases self-blame, and increases feelings of self-efficacy, confidence, and help seeking (Sanquist et al. 2014, Hollander, J. A. 2014).
Training Participants will:
- Understand research on ESD as a healing modality
- Experience 3 hours of hands on training in boundary settings, assertive communication, physical safety tools and adrenalin management.
- Explore PAC’s 10-week Healing through Empowerment curriculum.
- Learn ways to utilize ESD techniques in your practice and personal life.
Cost: $140 (lunch included) CEUs: 5 CEUs provided
Note: Sliding fee for those not needing CEUs.
Click here to REGISTER
10-Week Healing Through Empowerment Series for Women
Healing through Empowerment uses mindfulness techniques, body-based exercises, discussion, role play, verbal and physical self defense techniques, and reflection as tools for healing from abuse and assault trauma. Learn to observe and honor your own responses and preferences as felt in the body and develop practices to identify and express what you want, need, and feel in your own life. With an emphasis on choice and control, explore and gain tools for managing adrenalin, connecting with the body and feeling it’s strength and stability for safety, healing, and growth. Sliding fee for self pay participants – most insurance accepted
For information on upcoming series contact Clara at info@PACMaine.com or call (207) 232-0484
ESD contributes to healing by:
- Creating an environment that is explicitly safe.
- Giving participants opportunities to make active choices and express personal boundaries which are respected by others.
- Teaching new responses to use in stressful situations (active coping).
- Using mind/body techniques to become more aware of the body’s signals (interoceptive awareness).
- Providing an opportunity to learn and practice personal safety skills, such as becoming more aware of danger cues and using active responses.
- Offering safe and comforting experiences of working with others (social connection).
Click here to REGISTER