HEALING THROUGH EMPOWERMENT Series
Join other cis and trans women and non binary people for a unique journey of healing from sexual violence. Become reconnected to your body as safe and powerful and gain tools for assertive communication, boundary setting, self-care, and self-defense. Participants have gained confidence, skills, and experienced a reduction in PTSD symptoms while building community with other survivors.
Cost: Some insurance accepted / self pay $20 to $40/session (more if you can / less if you can’t)
Facilitated by Clara Porter, MSW and J. Lindan Andrews, LCSW
Clara Porter is the founder/director of Prevention. Action. Change. Clara has been teaching empowerment self defense for over 20 years and developed Healing Through Empowerment in collaboration with healing practitioners, survivors of sexual violence, and trauma experts in the Portland area and across the country.
Lindan Andrews is therapist and yoga instructor and body worker in Portland. She specializes in trauma healing and embodiment practices and is accompanied in her work by her therapy dog, Jed.
Healing Through Empowerment Series Description
Healing through Empowerment uses mindfulness techniques, body-based exercises, discussion, role play, verbal and physical self defense techniques, and reflection as tools for healing from abuse and assault trauma. Learn to observe and honor your own responses and preferences as felt in the body and develop practices to identify and express what you want, need, and feel in your own life. With an emphasis on choice and control, explore and gain tools for managing adrenalin, connecting with the body and feeling it’s strength and stability for safety, healing, and growth. All female-identified people welcome. Sliding fee for self pay participants
For information on upcoming series contact Clara at info@PACMaine.com or call (207) 232-0484
ESD contributes to healing by:
- Creating an environment that is explicitly safe.
- Giving participants opportunities to make active choices and express personal boundaries which are respected by others.
- Teaching new responses to use in stressful situations (active coping).
- Using mind/body techniques to become more aware of the body’s signals (interoceptive awareness).
- Providing an opportunity to learn and practice personal safety skills, such as becoming more aware of danger cues and using active responses.
- Offering safe and comforting experiences of working with others (social connection).
Click here to REGISTER