7-Week Healing Through Empowerment Series for Women
Sunday evenings April 22nd to June 10th (no meeting May 27th) Portland, Maine
Learn to observe and honor your own responses and preferences as felt in the body and develop practices to identify and express what you want, need, and feel in your own life. With an emphasis on choice and control, explore and gain tools for managing adrenalin, connecting with the body and feeling it’s strength and stability for safety, healing, and growth. Sliding fee for self pay participants – most insurance accepted
For more information contact Clara at info@PACMaine.com or call (207) 232-0484
ESD contributes to healing by:
- Creating an environment that is explicitly safe.
- Giving participants opportunities to make active choices and express personal boundaries which are respected by others.
- Teaching new responses to use in stressful situations (active coping).
- Using mind/body techniques to become more aware of the body’s signals (interoceptive awareness).
- Providing an opportunity to learn and practice personal safety skills, such as becoming more aware of danger cues and using active responses.
- Offering safe and comforting experiences of working with others (social connection).
POSTPONED TO JUNE 15TH
HEALING THROUGH EMPOWERMENT: A training for Practitioners in Trauma Healing. Friday March 23rd 9am to 4pm, Portland download flier
“Traumatized people chronically feel unsafe inside their bodies: The past is alive in the form of gnawing interior discomfort…. they often become expert at ignoring their gut feelings and in numbing awareness of what is played out inside.” – Bessel Van der Kolk
Empowerment Self Defense (ESD) is a unique form of self-defense developed over the last 40 years by feminist practitioners worldwide. Empowerment Self Defense:
- Rejects victim-blaming.
- Debunks “stranger-danger” myths.
- Examines gender socialization.
- Teaches awareness & verbal skills.
- Teaches accessible physical defense skills.
- Encourages healing and community organizing.
Research demonstrates that training in Empowerment Self Defense lowers rates of victimization or re-victimization, decreases self-blame and victim-blaming, and increases feelings of self-efficacy and the tendency to seek help (Sanquist et al. 2014, Hollander, J. A. 2014).
Training Participants will:
- Understand research on ESD as a healing modality
- Experience the awareness, verbal, physical, and healing tools used in ESD courses
- Review the 8-week Healing through Empowerment series for Women
- Explore ways to utilize ESD in your practice
Cost: $120 CEUs: 6 CEUs provided