HEALING THROUGH EMPOWERMENT
New in-person series in Portland: Thursday evenings 6:00 to 7:30pm – Oct. 6th through Nov. 17th.
Join survivors of all genders and identities for a unique journey of healing from sexual violence. Reconnect to your body as safe and powerful and gain tools for assertive communication, boundary setting, self-care, and self-defense. Healing through Empowerment uses mindfulness techniques, discussion, role play, verbal and physical self defense techniques, exploration of trauma responses, and reflection as tools for healing from abuse and assault trauma. Learn to observe and honor your own responses and preferences as felt in the body and develop practices to identify and express what you want, need, and feel in your own life. With an emphasis on choice and control, explore and gain tools for managing adrenalin, connecting with the body and feeling its strength and stability for safety, healing, and growth. Participants have gained confidence and skills, and experienced a reduction in PTSD symptoms while building community with other survivors.
Cost: Suggested $10 – $20 per session (pay what you can)
Questions: please email info@PACMaine.com or call: (207) 232-0484
ESD contributes to healing by:
- Creating an environment that is explicitly safe.
- Giving participants opportunities to make active choices and express personal boundaries which are respected by others.
- Teaching new responses to use in stressful situations (active coping).
- Using mind/body techniques to become more aware of the body’s signals (interoceptive awareness).
- Providing an opportunity to learn and practice personal safety skills, such as becoming more aware of danger cues and using active responses.
- Offering safe and comforting experiences of working with others (social connection).
- (Breklin 2008 and Hollander 2014).